How to use this guidance
Version 1.0 (2022-10-07): This document will be updated regularly. For the most current version, visit this page https://research.iu.edu/policies/nih-data-mgmt-sharing-policy.html.
This document provides guidance to support researchers in developing a Data Management & Sharing (DMS) Plan, as described in the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Final Policy on Data Management and Sharing and in supplemental information about the elements of a DMS Plan. It is aligned with the DMS Plan template provided by the NIH and enhanced with additional guidance, samples, and resources for support.
This guidance, along with a DMS Plan template in FireForm (available in November 2022), has been developed by the IU Research Data Management Plan Working Group.
The following information is provided:
- Policy description provides language from the NIH policy (NOT-OD-19-013) as well as the supplemental information describing the elements of a DMS Plan (NOT-OD-19-014).
- Guidance offers additional information regarding the scope and level of detail suggested.
- Sample responses – where possible, we have developed or adapted sample responses that represent common research scenarios, workflows, and issues.
- Review this guidance document for support in meeting the baseline expectations set by the NIH policy.
- Review the Program Announcement/Funding Opportunity Announcement/Request for Applications you intend to apply for to identify any additional requirements from Institutes, Centers, or Offices (ICO) related to data management and sharing. For example, some ICO may indicate use of specific repositories.
Key Policy Resources
- Final Policy on DMS: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-21-013.html
- Elements of a DMS Plan: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-21-014.html
- IU support: https://research.iu.edu/policies/nih-data-mgmt-sharing-policy.html